Cowboy Bebop reviews

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sinaj

Sinaj

Bishonen Lover

• Super Administrators
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Making anime music videos (AMVs), watching anime, reading fantasy novels, dancing, taking nice walks, and (in the near future) learning some exotic recipes!

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:10 AM

Cowboy Beebop
Also known as: n/a
Genre: Space-western drama
Length: Television series, 26 episodes, 23 minutes each
Distributor: VHS and R1 DVD from Bandai
Content Rating: R (adult themes, violence)
Related Series: Cowboy Beebop the Movie
If you like this series, check out...: Trigun
Rating: smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

This is probably the most unique series I have ever seen next to Trigun, and it gives many different "feels" all at once. On one hand you've got the whole futuristic feel with the space ships and hi-tech equipment. Mix that with the private detective/wild west bounty hunter plots, and then further the diversity with an ongoing mystery of just who is Spike and where did he come from? The series starts out comedic with occassional brief flashes of Spike's past, and a few new characters are introduced like Ed, the young computer hacker. The characters concepts are fantastic, with each having its own unique and interesting reasons for being who and where they are. And the voices, both dubbed and japanese, are excellent!
As the series progresses, we get to see more of Spike's past and start to piece things together, which begins to darken up the series. The humor from the earlier episodes begins to disappear and you find yourself truly caught up in a very compelling drama as Spike's past catches up with him and he has to meet it head on.
And one thing I did forget to mention was the music for the series. It is part of the experience and without the music the series would feel incomplete.
Cowboy Beepop is like nothing I've ever seen, and I was more than a bit depressed to see the series come to a close, but from what I hear there is a movie in the works, so we'll see what becomes of that. My only hope is that moving to the big screen doesn't ruin it.
user posted image
Eat until you can't anymore. Play until you drop. Sleep the day away.
It's okay to laugh. or yell, or cry. Just live, live live."

#2 J4M-B4D

J4M-B4D
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:drawing,music,cars,games,games with good music and cars.

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:36 AM

hey. i would just like to add that the movie came out last year.
it was as good as the show. although it dosent really take place after the show ends, more like just a really long episode, but good non the less.

#3 mtiru

mtiru

Super User

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:literature, social consciousness, culture jamming, video, comics.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

I've seen this show a lot. It's actually fairly conventional (in terms of plot, characters, etc.). What makes it stand out is the exceptional artwork and design, and the amazing music. The soundtrack is brilliant and really makes the show. I liked the ending though and thought it wrapped up the arc of Spike in an appropriate way.

The director of Cowboy Bebop, Shinichiro Watanabe, has a new show out called "Samurai Champloo" which is a meiji era samurai show (think Rurouni Kenshin), with a hip-hop score. Great visuals too.
"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." -Paulo Friere

#4 j4d3d_1nk

j4d3d_1nk

lesser evil

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:13 PM

Bebop seems to stand out, not because of but I think in spite of the stereotypes in play. Spike is certainly the sad hero type, Jet the hardened old warrior type, Faye the inconsistent badass bimbo type and Ed, is well Ed. But each of the characters is fully developed and has more to them than these stereotypical character profiles.

Also, the nearly film noir storytelling in some of the issues far outpaces the flashy outser-space episodes IMHO, because they let the story move at its own pace and be its own force to keep the watcher attached to the series.

-j4d3d

#5 xenotholomus

xenotholomus

The Guardian Of Hell

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Stragy games, Warhammer, internet, hanging out with friends.<br><br>http://www.xchaosx.com/page.php?tz=708

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE(mtiru @ Jun 24 2004, 09:15 PM)
I've seen this show a lot.  It's actually fairly conventional (in terms of plot, characters, etc.).  What makes it stand out is the exceptional artwork and design, and the amazing music.  The soundtrack is brilliant and really makes the show.  I liked the ending though and thought it wrapped up the arc of Spike in an appropriate way.

The director of Cowboy Bebop, Shinichiro Watanabe, has a new show out called "Samurai Champloo" which is a meiji era samurai show (think Rurouni Kenshin), with a hip-hop score.  Great visuals too.

I would agree with him. I have seen it. The art work in it makes it stand out the most.

#6 SimVicious

SimVicious
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Anime (duh), 3D CGI, Cowboy Bebop, Video Games

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

I was brought into the world of anime by Cowboy Bebop. My love for series is unrivalled by anything else iv come across. Personally id say Watanabe-sama doesnt make the series but the character designers, animators and other writers who dont get as much praise as they deserve for such deep, rich characters and a beautifully plot. Yoko Kanno and Steve Conte in particular deserve a special mention for the wonderful soundtrack. Check out Wolfs Rain, the exact same team work on it, minus watanabe
"And now you shall weep tears of crimson" - Vicious

Everybodies art puts mine to shame :(

#7 Altra

Altra
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

No offense to all those who like Cowboy Bepop, it's a good series and all, but there are SO many better ones out there, such as Weiss Kruez or White Hunters in America. You think the art from Cowboy Bepop makes it stand out, you should see this series or watch any series made by CLAMP or read any of their manga. Both have a unique style all their own. Anyone who has seen X has seen CLAMP's work, it might have an odd plot, but the animation and drawing is second to none.

#8 Jason Knight

Jason Knight

Jiggle Counter

• Super Administrators
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

It all depends on everyone's taste. Cowboy Bebop brought a lot of people into Anime because it had a type of classic cop story, it was fairly unique with good music, style and the way it was introduced. There are a lot of great series out there, new ones come out it seems almost daily, but Cowboy Bebop will always be a favorite to a lot. Its one of those types of movies that could easily end up becoming a cult classic. I have to admit though I wasn't a fan of the movie, it just didn't have the same feel as the actual series.

I am happy that they redid the X because the movie doesn't do the series justice. The manga is great but the movie was confusing for people who didn't know anything about it. It seems a lot of old OVAs are going to start doing that, even Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a retelling in a way that goes into more depth and provides more character to the characters themselves.

I love Cowboy Bebop though but current favorites right now are, Witch Hunter Robin, Twelve Kingdoms, Saiyuki, Full Metal Panic and Pretear (I like it because my daughter does, yeah thats it tongue.gif).
user posted image
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know
where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.
- Irish Toast

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users